Rhiannon Johnson and Aymen Ghali will be debuting their new vocal-and-guitar duo this Friday at Farm to Table. Sparkling vocalist Rhiannon has been working on her Spanish language skills for the endeavour, studying a new repertoire comprising largely of Latin music standards. With Rhiannon’s sultry tones and Aymen’s dexterous fretboard fingerwork, this elegant pairing are bound to seduce the al-fresco listening audience.
Tucked away in the backstreets of Tonle Bassac, arts venue Cloud has continued to stage its monthly Block Party. Inspired by American hip-hop culture, the event comprises of live music, painting and dance. This month’s edition will feature special guests Ashéo – a French MC – and Em – a Cambodian DJ with a wide variety of musical styles at his fingertips. Check out the rapid vocal gymnastics of Ashéo in the video below.
Cambodian rap duo Koa Ponleur and Chea Socheat, better known as Khmeng Khmer, will be a major feature of the second annual Chub Met Music & Art Festival – which kicks off this week in Siem Reap. Khmeng Khmer will be performing their fresh and exuberant brand of hip-hop-dance-pop at the festival opening party tonight (Thursday) at Kandal Village Party. The young Cambodian pair will be in good company, with a host of strong artists on the bill, including Laura Mam and Channty Cha Cha. The festival continues at Raffles Garden on Friday, when Khmeng Khmer will perform alongside Nikki Nikki, Master Kong Nay, the Phare circus artists and… a parade of giant puppets!
Events take a competitive turn on Tuesday night, when five young, talented Cambodian rock bands will compete in the Battle of the Bands. The first prize is significant enough to ensure a heated and high-pressure competition – with $1,000 in cash, three days studio time at 60 Road, a music video and website AND styling all provided for the winning band. The X-Bar rooftop venue will host five competing bands, three of which will be travelling from Phnom Penh (Hardihood Band, Plugger Band and Vartey Ganiva), one from Battambang (Batbangers) with one local band from Siem Reap in attendance (Garuda Band). Judges Srey Channty (The Cambodian Space Project, Channty Cha Cha), P-Sand, Sabay Digital and your very own Leng Pleng correspondent will be making the tough decisions on the night. Let battle commence!
Back in Phnom Penh this Saturday, music maestro Anton Isselhardt will be staging another superb chamber recital, this time at Intercon. A three piece wind ensemble (Anton Isselhardt – flute, Daisy Kim- oboe, Michele Bowen- Bassoon) will perform works by Mozart, Beethoven and WFE Bach. The concert will be a great chance to hear some expertly executed, high quality classical music.
Sometime Phnom Penh expat Ziad Samman (Tango & Snatch, Two Shots & A Chaser) got in touch with Leng Pleng recently to let us hear some brand new tracks, recorded during a brief visit to Phnom Penh last December. Check out the Professor Kinksi-produced Captain Turpentine tracks via bandcamp link above – featuring the inspired lyrics and impassioned performances we have come to expect from Ziad and the wonderful fiddle work of Chris Davis.
- 6:00 PM ~ ChubMet Music & Art Festival – Festival Opening Carnival at Kandal Village in Siem Reap
- 6:00 PM ~ Aymen Ghali and Rhiannon Johnson at Farm to Table
- 7:00 PM ~ DJ Star , Dj Rakky-z and Dj Niko Yu at The Riverhouse Lounge
- 7:00 PM ~ Robin Narciso at Botanico Wine & Beer Garden
- 7:00 PM ~ Pavel Ramirez at Tacos Kokopelli
- 7:00 PM ~ Unity Duo at Valentino’s Garden Terrace Bistro
- 8:00 PM ~ RJ Marshall , Danzo Ke’aloha and Tin at Moi Tiet in Kampot
- 8:00 PM ~ Philippe Javelle at Alchemy
- 8:00 PM ~ Road to Mandalay at The Show Box
- 8:30 PM ~ Joe Wrigley and Miss Sarawan at Jazz Club Phnom Penh
- 9:00 PM ~ Fender Benders at Sharky Bar
- 9:00 PM ~ Alex Guitarist at FCC – The Mansion
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Martin Warlich at Meta House
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Gang and Dj FunkII Pro at Pontoon
- 3:30 PM ~ V Raven at The Intercontinental Hotel Phnom Penh
- 4:00 PM ~ Anton Isselhardt , Michele Bowen and Daisy Kim at The Intercontinental Hotel Phnom Penh
- 7:00 PM ~ Stephane Routtier Duo at Valentino’s Garden Terrace Bistro
- 7:00 PM ~ Chi Town at Sharky Bar
- 7:00 PM ~ Triple “A” Band at FCC – The Mansion
- 7:30 PM ~ Kong Nay , Nikki Nikki , Kmeng Khmer and Pich Sophea at Royal Gardens of Siem Reap in Siem Reap
- 8:00 PM ~ Joe Wrigley , Clay George and Steve Sutcliffe at Alchemy
- 9:00 PM ~ DJane Sao Sopheak at Meta House
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Illest and DILLYDADON at Pontoon
- 9:00 PM ~ The Riverside Ray-Bans at Oscar’s On The Corner
- O. A torrent, the mud at Institut Francais du Cambodge
- Noun Sovitou at The Institut Francais du Cambodge
- Alex Guitarist at FCC – The Mansion
- V Raven at The Intercontinental Hotel Phnom Penh
- Vincent Lafleur * at Farm to Table
- VM5 * , HEM HEM SAIGON * , Gen * and Sok Sapbaay Boys at Sharky Bar
- BON JOVI at Hard Rock Cafe Angkor in Siem Reap
- AYA KURATA BANZAI, DJ RYU SUZUKI, Mitsuhiro Kaise and Dj Hide Homare at Meta House
- DJ Shaman at VITO Club
- James Jirayu at Epic Club
- Kmeng Khmer and Joss Stone at Jaya House RiverPark in Siem Reap
- The Kampot Playboys, Krom Monster and Rasmee at The FCC – Angkor in Siem Reap
- The Amanda Bloom, Sliten6ix, The Kampot Playboys, Dub Addiction, The Schkoots, Sangvar Day, Scoot By water, Nightmare A.D., Bokor Mountain Magic Band, Phnom Skor, Danzo Ke’aloha, Hypnotic Fist Technique, DOCH CHKAE, Vartey Ganiva, Wasabi Bytes * , Suffer Band, Complicated Business, SINCERELY GRIZZY and M.C SOLOMON at Street 278, Phnom Penh and Cambodia
- 12Me, Elemental, Chifumi and Mike-Ysu at Triangle Restaurant-Lounge-Bar in Siem Reap
- Professor Kinski, DJ Nicomatic and DJ/VJ X76 at Meta House