Greetings, readers of Leng Pleng, and welcome to another surprising week of wonder on the Cambodian music scene.
Guitarist Aymen Ghali is making the short hop over from Saigon this week for a few select Phnom Penh appearances. Tonight (Thursday) at Samai Distillery, Aymen will be reprising his Latin and Gypsy swing trio with the awesome Metta Legita on keys and Jedil Robelo on cajon. The Distillery is a working business which only opens its doors to the drinking public each Thursday and stages occasional music shows, with band and sound system installed in amongst the ageing casks of rum. It’s one of those PP venues that always seems to attract a hip crowd and the live gigs always escalate into booze-fuelled dancefloor abandonment. Aymen is trump card amongst South-East Asian musos, possessing of a very wide musical base and extremely expressive guitar style. Put him on a stage, plug him in and watch the magical music ensue.
Serendipitously, Aymen Ghali’s former musical collaborator Roxane Dumont is also in town this week. Singer/guitarist Roxane will be hooking up with Ghali for a gig at Bouchon this Friday night and at Chinese House on Sunday. Roxane has a smiling energy and stage presence all of her own and brings original songs and covers on something of a Latin-reggae, Manu Chao tip. It’s going to be a good musical week in the Penh!
UK Psych-rockers Frankie Teardrop Dead have made the unlikely journey from an East London warehouse studio to The Kingdom of Wonder for a quickfire round of gigs in Phnom Penh, Kampot and on Koh Ta Kiev in January. It was psychedelic Cambo guitar blasters The Cambodian Space Project who first piqued Frankie’s interest in the Cambodian rock’n’roll scene, and later this month FTD will appear at CSP bandleader Julien Poulson’s Folk Art & Blues Festival. Before heading down to the ‘Pot, Frankie Teardrop Dead will play a show at Oscar’s On The Corner in Phnom Penh this Friday night. The band have an authentic 60’s Velvet Underground-esque vibe and, if Oscar manages to get that liquid light projector show going, the Street 104 gig could turn into a very cool ‘Electric Kool-Aid’ type of happening. Read more about Frankie Teardrop Dead via our Leng Pleng Q&A
Dave Punk, Stewwy Ramone, Tom The Mop and the irrepressible Boombaar will be out to prove, emphatically, that ‘Punk’s Not Dead’ at Oscar’s on Saturday night. This uncompromising band of men known as Stiff Little Punks have been active on the Phnom Penh music scene since 2008 and will be celebrating the band’s anniversary with a special, non-stop, two hour blast through “70’s anthems from the likes of The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Ramones, The Ruts, The Exploited and more..”. The face of nightlife in Phnom Penh has changed almost beyond recognition since the ‘Wild West’ days of guns being wielded at gigs and the heydays of Sharky Bar, Walkabout and Martini. Stiff Little Punks may be without the talismanic presence of the infamous former frontman Ian ‘Delta’ Anderson but they will, literally, be waving the flag for authentic 70’s punk at Oscar’s on Saturday night… and proudly remain “the only band in PP to have played The Cavern, The Hard Rock Cafe and Candy Bar – all in one week”!
A little further south on Phnom Penh’s riverside this Saturday night, The Stage Bar is preparing for a night of hard-hitting original rock courtesy of Road To Mandalay. The U.S./Finland three-piece are heading for a ‘Phnom Penh breakup’ later this year when some founding members will be forced to relocate to different parts of the world. Enjoy it while it lasts, and check out the Road to Mandalay EP via Bandcamp.
Whatever you’re up to over the next few days, stay safe out there and… see you around the traps!
- 8:00 PM ~ DJ Watt’s Up at FCC – The Mansion
- 8:30 PM ~ Aymen Ghali , Metta Legita and Jedil Roberto at Samai Distillery
- 9:00 PM ~ Kenny Smith at Bona ‘s Pub
- 6:30 PM ~ Loopy Reggae at Farm to Table
- 7:00 PM ~ Kyle Orten at Tacos Kokopelli
- 7:00 PM ~ Billy Page at FCC – Rooftop Bar
- 7:00 PM ~ Robin Narciso at Botanico Wine & Beer Garden
- 7:30 PM ~ DJ Remix at The Show Box
- 7:30 PM ~ Roxane Dumont , Aymen Ghali and Jedil Roberto at Bouchon Wine bar
- 8:30 PM ~ Joshua Chiang at Good Times Bar
- 9:30 PM ~ Frankie Teardrop Dead at Oscar’s On The Corner
- 10:00 PM ~ DJ Gang , DJ Cut Killer and Dj FunkII Pro at Pontoon
- 7:00 PM ~ Lisa Concepcion at Botanico Wine & Beer Garden
- 8:30 PM ~ zargz at FCC – The Mansion
- 8:30 PM ~ Steve Sutcliffe and Anthony Armenti at Alchemy
- 9:00 PM ~ Road to Mandalay at Stage Bar PP
- 9:00 PM ~ Leeroy Thornhill * , DJ Sequence , DJ Tim Coates and Rob Bianche at The Heart of Darkness
- 9:00 PM ~ Los Panas at Bassac Lane
- 10:00 PM ~ DJ Illest and DILLYDADON at Pontoon
- 10:00 PM ~ Stiff Little Punks at Oscar’s On The Corner
- 11:00 AM ~ Roxane Dumont and Aymen Ghali at The Chinese House
- 7:00 PM ~ Billy Page at Hops Brewery and Craft Beer Garden
- 10:00 PM ~ Kenny Smith , Chris and Oscar at Oscar’s On The Corner
- 8:00 AM ~ Open Mic hosted by Scott Bywater at Good Times Bar
- 6:00 PM ~ Frankie Teardrop Dead at The Kampot Pond in Kampot
- 9:00 PM ~ The Fender Benders at Hard Rock Cafe Phnom Penh
- DJ Watt’s Up at FCC – The Mansion
- Masterpieces of Opera at FCC – The Mansion
- Wicked Harmonies at FCC – The Mansion
- Scott Bywater at FCC – Rooftop Bar, Good Times Bar
- Billy Page at FCC – Rooftop Bar
- DJ RICKY STONE at Hard Rock Cafe Phnom Penh
- Stiff Little Punks at The Kampot Pond in Kampot