One of the longest running expat bands in Phnom Penh, Sangvar Day, bring their tenure to an end tonight, Thursday 13, at Cloud, 8 pm start. Consistently developing, ambitious in scope and always original, Sangvar Day revolved around a creative core of Julian Bras (guitar), Julien Mariani (drums) and Robin Narciso (vocals and guitar), mixing together their tough prog-flavoured euro alt-rock, hard enough to more than hold their own in a metal show. They recorded two albums – Sangvar Day and National Anthems, both available at sangvarday.bandcamp.com – they made videos, they toured in the region. In 2017 founder member Julien left for the Ivory Coast and the band played intermittently with a change of rhythm section. With Robin and Julian about to leave Cambodia, the time has come for one last farewell show to mark the passing of a significant musical figure in the landscape of recent years. Thanks and good luck, lads.
Sangvar Day at Golden Street Festival, 2017
Back in 2013, your correspondent used to occasionally visit a little bar called Aquarium, Philippine owned and a bit of a club house for the Filipino musicians, who might play some of the regular overplayed songs, but as the night grew late they often brought out the songs from home, singing in many of the 183 mother tongues of the nation – it was a delight. On Friday 14 at Farm to Table, to mark Philippine Independence Day, Ace Zapa and Mirasol Aguila present a night of music in the same style, that is rarely heard in these parts and should only be encouraged.
Also on Friday the acoustic roster is filled out with Ernie Buck at LF Garden, Duo Sympatico at Botanico, reggae with Randy at Red Bar, and the Boxchords at Alchemy. The Bodleian offers Into the Gold: Hippy Chic, Cloud gets loud with Vartey Ganiva, and new act Smile Band debuts at Bona’s Pub.
On Saturday find the newly renamed Arome Khmer at Futures Factory in the late afternoon, Euan Gray Quartet jazzing up Alchemy, Ronan Sheehan at Good Times Bar, Jazure at Sundance, Joshua Chiang at LF Garden, Jeffro at Botanico, an accordion concert by Heev Del’Akreuz at Cloud, and Moi Tiet storming the stage at Oscar’s on the Corner.
On Sunday late afternoon the Original Sessions presents rapper Mehdi ‘12me’ Benabdessadok on a boat cruise and all acoustic backing – check out our weekly feature below. Alternately, Pristine and Phil Javelle are at Hops, and the long-running open mics Sunday Sundowner Sessions at Tacos Kokopelli and later Sharky Bar give you a reason to not stay home.
Also of note this week, the release of a new three-track digital EP by Scott ‘Scoddy’ Bywater, Quietly Blue, now available at Bandcamp, featuring the title track, Melancholy Holly and Always Leaving. For those without online money who would like to make a purchase, contact scoddy directly.
The Leng Pleng Weekly Feature
Multi-lingual rapper Mehdi ‘12me’ Benabdessadok embarks on a very different Original Sessions on Sunday evening – a boat cruise and an all acoustic backing, with guitar and roneat. Leng Pleng dragged him away from preparations to ask a few questions.
“I’ve worked with a few live bands in France, but trying a real all-acoustic version of my show is a first for me. I feel very excited because yes, it’s a different feel. I feel closer to the audience, and I am also very eager to hear the mix of percussion, guitar and the [traditional Cambodian xylophone] roneat on stage.”
Tickets are only $7 but there is limited seating to get in quick – visit the Tickets section in your Pi Pay app.
Passing chords: a few things you might not know about…
Antonio Elchico, baby faced and angel voiced, plays around town solo and with his new project Antonio and the Experiment. Check him at his regular solo shows at Good Times Bar, Botanico and LF Garden.
Your pet musical hate:
Turning off the radio while she’s about to fall asleep.
A private musical indulgence:
The year you came to Cambodia:
An early music memory:
I had my first paid gig on stage in a bar at 16. I felt a bit nervous but it was so exciting.
Your favourite food:
What you do on a night off:
Relax, stay at home, watch some videos
The country you want to visit:
USA, Brazil and France
A stage superstition you have:
I never sing My Way by Frank Sinatra, it’s a song which has a curse on it.
Something people might be surprised to know about you:
I’m a one woman man, a faithful guy.
Steve Porte photo of the week
Steve’s comment: Scoddy, demonstrating why 16mm lenses are a bad choice for portraits…
Stay safe out there, and see you around the traps.
- 6:00 PM ~ Euan Gray and Richard Boisson at Penh House
- 7:00 PM ~ Nomades at The Plantation Kampot in Kampot
- 8:00 PM ~ Sangvar Day at Cloud
- 6:30 PM ~ Ace Zapa and Mirasol Aguila at Farm to Table
- 7:00 PM ~ Scott Bywater , Adrien Gayraud and Duo Sympatico at Botanico Wine & Beer Garden
- 8:00 PM ~ Boxchords at Alchemy
- 8:00 PM ~ Ernie Buck at LF Garden Restaurant and Bar
- 8:00 PM ~ Vartey Ganiva at Cloud
- 8:30 PM ~ Antti Siitonen , Philippe Javelle and Mirasol Aguila at The Bodleian
- 8:30 PM ~ Randy Cataluna at Red Bar
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Gang and DJ Funkii Pro at Pontoon
- 10:00 PM ~ Smile Band at Bona ‘s Pub
- 5:00 PM ~ Arome Khmer at Futures Factory
- 7:00 PM ~ Jeffro Starks at Botanico Wine & Beer Garden
- 7:30 PM ~ Heev Del’Akreuz at Cloud
- 8:00 PM ~ Euan Gray , Metta Legita and Andrey Meshcheryakov at Alchemy
- 8:00 PM ~ Josh Chiang at LF Garden Restaurant and Bar
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Illest and DILLYDADON at Pontoon
- 10:00 PM ~ Moi Tiet at Oscar’s On The Corner
- 10:00 PM ~ Ronan Sheehan at Good Times Bar
- 4:30 PM ~ 12Me at Paris Boat
- 7:00 PM ~ Philippe Javelle and Pristine at Hops Brewery and Craft Beer Garden
- The Uncomfortably White Brothers at Duplex Taverne Belge
- Philippe Javelle and Intan Andriana at The Bodleian
- Boxchords at The Bodleian
- Pavel Ramirez at LF Garden Restaurant and Bar
- Pablo Enrique de Feo at LF Garden Restaurant and Bar
- Kheltica at LF Social Club
- Lisa Concepcion at LF Garden Restaurant and Bar
- The Goldilocks Zone at LF Social Club
- Antti Siitonen and Ernie Buck at Hops Brewery and Craft Beer Garden
- Antti Siitonen, Philippe Javelle and Intan Andriana at Hops Brewery and Craft Beer Garden
- Chi Town at Oscar’s On The Corner
- The Cambodian Space Project at The Institut Francais du Cambodge
- Aok Sokunkanha at Secrets Cambodia
- Scott Bywater at Good Times Bar