Visiting German experimentalists Kopi Kaputa open our weekend with one show only at Meta House: a blend of German language singing with English language subtitles, ukulele, electronics, bass and drums that sits somewhere between Dada, medieval street ballads, chanson and punk. For more mainstream tastes, Steve Kovacs is acoustic solo at Sundance Inn & Saloon, Bandidos are at the newly rejuvenated Angel Sky Bar – and there’s the Thursday regulars Far East Society at LAB and The Extraordinary Chambers at Oscar’s on the Corner.
On Friday Rhiannon Johnson makes a welcome return to the stage with Arone Silverman at Farm to Table, Jeffro Starks is at Botanico, Clara the Sidewalk Cellist joins with guitarist Charlie at LF Social Club, there’s jazz with Mirasol, Larry and Euan at Alchemy, Latin with Aguita de Coco at Angel Sky Bar and the Boxchords at LAB.
Somewhat early and louder, the Underground Community Showcase at Cloud offers six of the best metal acts Phnom Penh has to offer, including Doch Chkae, Nightmare AD, SamRocker Band and Afterlife Love Machine, a resurrection of long-lost Knell. Not quite as loud will be a Queen tribute night at Hard Rock Café Phnom Penh, Havana Kings at Bassac Lane and Geography of the Moon at Oscar’s on the Corner.
On Saturday, there’s a mix of performers and activities at Futures Factory at the Warm Shelter event. Later Pavel Ramirez at Botanico, Jeffro Starks at The K’s and Geography of the Moon at The Vine. Hypnotic Fist Technique are at The Hangout, the Uncomfortably White Brothers at Sundance Inn & Saloon, K’n’E are at Oscar’s on the Corner, while The Goldilocks Zone and Psykic Elektric team up for a big double feature at Alchemy.
The Kbach Bash at Kbach Gallery on Sunday features art, street painting, DJs and breakdancing from Tiny Toones. If you’re ready for Christmas carols, Botanico hosts Phnom Penh Sunday Sing’s Carols in the Garden on Sunday afternoon.
Through the week, the first full gig for new band The Electric Socks on Monday night at Oscar’s on the Corner, and there’s a Christmas Connection event featuring music, spoken word and dance at Farm to Table on Wednesday.
Out of town this weekend, in Kampot The Two are at Banyan Tree on Friday, and Hills&Bells travel to Magic Sponge for Saturday night. In Siem Reap The Harbour offer a night of live music on Friday. And Tuesday night at Bahia in Kep, the unleashing of the power of the Dub Addiction Sound System. Look out for more activity outside Phnom Penh over the next few months for high season, particularly in Kampot and Siem Reap.
Wings&Beers in Tuol Tom Pong is preparing for a Battle of the Bands – with a cash prize and other sponsored encouragements – and they welcome inquiries from bands who wish to take part. Any genre, open to all.
Special commemorative t-shirts marking 10 years of LengPleng.com are now available – $25 to help us keep the lights on at LengPleng Towers. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For advertising opportunity inquiries contact email@example.com
The Leng Pleng Weekly Feature
Taking you somewhere else
Geography of the Moon is Virginia Bones and Andrea Rubbio, an extraordinary duo who have won over audiences across the UK and South East Asia with their unique blend of sounds that mix vocals, guitars, looping and a dramatic stage show.
VB: We sometimes use setlists, but most of the time we don’t.
AR: Go with the feelings.
VB: We have improvised most of the gigs, so they’re all different.
AR: I start a note, she follows, I follow her, she follows me, and then when we have a percussionist – it’s all just naturally coming out.
VB: We play how we feel.
AR: An average might be 60% songs, 40% improvised.
Passing Chords: a few things you might not know about…
Euan Gray. Originally from Brisbane, Australia, Euan is a musician (saxophone, vocals, guitar), producer and educator based in Phnom Penh. He is the co-founder of Songkites, a project that supports and nurtures songwriting and creativity in the local community. He’s equally at home doing acoustic solo shows, fronting a party band or playing jazz – and you can catch him doing just that at Alchemy on Friday night with Mirasol Aguila and Larry Martinez.
Your pet musical hate:
Lack of dynamics. Music without space to breathe makes me crazy.
A private musical indulgence:
Playing drums as a non-drummer. It is 100% fun with 0% expectations.
The year you first came to Cambodia:
2006 – ish
An early music memory:
Falling asleep as a 6 year-old to my favourite tape – Best of the Beach Boys – and waking up during Good Vibrations. Trippy.
Your favourite food:
What you do on a night off:
Seek silence. Not very successfully.
The country you want to visit:
The Middle East region – post war(s).
A stage habit or superstition you have:
If i’m really into a groove, I will unconsciously hold my sax like a bass and make bass faces.
Something people might be surprised to know about you:
The message tone on the PiPay app is actually me whistling.
A question from last week’s participant, Clara Shandler: what is the most absurd thing that has ever happened during one of your sets?
I did a duet with a chicken at Farm to Table recently. Come Fly With Me. She didn’t, but she did have a peck at my loop pedal in the set break.
A question for next week’s participant: If you had to trade your music talent for another talent, what would it be?
Steve Porte Photo of the Week
Damani with Hynotic Fist Technique at LF Social Club, November 29 2019
Let us know about your upcoming gigs, events, news and interesting activities: send information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay safe out there, and see you around the traps.
- 8:00 PM ~ Kopi Kaputa * at Meta House
- 8:00 PM ~ Bandidos at Angel Sky Bar
- 8:30 PM ~ Steve Kovacs at The Sundance Inn & Saloon
- 6:30 PM ~ Rhiannon Johnson and Arone Silverman at Farm to Table
- 7:00 PM ~ Jeffro Starks at Botanico Wine & Beer Garden
- 7:00 PM ~ Underground Community Showcase with metal and punk bands at Cloud
- 8:00 PM ~ Clara Shandler * at LF Garden Restaurant and Bar
- 8:00 PM ~ Band@Work at Hard Rock Cafe Phnom Penh
- 8:00 PM ~ Euan Gray , Larry Martinez and Mirasol Aguila at Alchemy
- 8:00 PM ~ Boxchords at L.A.B.
- 8:00 PM ~ Aguita de Coco at Angel Sky Bar
- 9:00 PM ~ Havana Kings at Bassac Lane
- 9:00 PM ~ Live music at The Harbour in Siem Reap
- 9:00 PM ~ The Two at Banyan Tree in Kampot
- 10:00 PM ~ CUBIK▸▸ Enter The Heart of Darkness at The Heart of Darkness
- 10:00 PM ~ Geography of the Moon at Oscar’s On The Corner
- 3:00 PM ~ Warm Shelter for LGBTIQ Cambodians at Futures Factory
- 5:00 PM ~ Jeffro Starks at The K’s
- 7:00 PM ~ Hypnotic Fist Technique at The Hangout
- 7:00 PM ~ Hills&Bells at Magic Sponge in Kampot
- 7:00 PM ~ Pavel Ramirez at Botanico Wine & Beer Garden
- 8:00 PM ~ Geography of the Moon at The Vine
- 8:00 PM ~ The Goldilocks Zone and Psykic Elektric at Alchemy
- 8:30 PM ~ The Uncomfortably White Brothers at The Sundance Inn & Saloon
- 10:00 PM ~ K’n’E – Oscar Bar house band at Oscar’s On The Corner
- 12:00 PM ~ Dj Niko Yu and DJ Premo at KBach Gallery
- 4:00 PM ~ Carols in the garden at Botanico Wine & Beer Garden
- 7:00 PM ~ Ladies night with Kai at Angel Sky Bar
- 6:30 PM ~ Christmas Connection: an anthology of artists at Farm to Table
- 8:00 PM ~ Ernie Buck at The Vine
- DJ Gorimaa, Professor Kinski and DJ Airfix Twin at The Eighty8
- Geography of the Moon at The Sundance Inn & Saloon
- Hot Club de Phnom Penh at Magic Sponge in Kampot
- Ernie Buck at Magic Sponge in Kampot
- Street 308 Block Party Christmas 2019 at Street 308
- Barry Speirs at Java Creative Café
- The Sock Essentials at Star Bar in Siem Reap
- Vibratone at The Hangout
- SamRocker Band at Pomme in Siem Reap